Author Topic: Need info on Earthworm Jim pirates  (Read 3840 times)

Channel9001

• View Profile
Need info on Earthworm Jim pirates
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »
I am working on some youtube videos following the history of the Earthworm Jim franchise and have decided to do an video dedicated to the NES pirates of these games. However, information on pirate games seems to be very difficult to come by. So I've decided to come here and ask or help. I have discovered three Earthworm Jim pirates for the Famicom:

Earthworm Jim 3 (a port of the original EWJ)
Earthworm Jim 2 (also called EWJ 4, a port of EWJ 2)
And a very strange game called Happy Biqi 3 Which seems to be a romhack of Earthworm Jim 2

I need to know if any other Earthworm Jim pirates exist. If not, I'd also appreciate knowing what companies released these games and what countries they were originally sold in. I've heard that some of these games also came on multicarts with other games. If this is true, I'd like to know what kind of carts and what the other games were. And finally, I have failed to find ANY information on this "Happy Biqi 3" game other than it existing. Any info on this game would be a huge help, including where it was made and by who (and maybe for what reason). The name suggests that it's part of a series, or at least was hacked to look as such, but I can't find any info on a Happy Biqi  1 or 2, if those games even exist. Finally, if it is allowed, I'd like to know any websites where I might be able to find ROMs of these games (Especially Happy Biqi 3).

Thanks for the help!

Robyn

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:48:57 AM »
CaH4e3 has most of the pirate roms of Earthworm Jim, and Happy Biqi 3 is In the new goodNES I think.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »
Waixing is believed to have made an Earthworm Jim game for the Famicom (not Happy Biqi, though they may be similar) and there's two EJ2 ports for the Famicom: one by K/Shin-Shin and another by Super Game.  For finding them, try Taobao or Ruten.  You can order from those sites with Taiwan Shopoholic and whatever Taobao ordering site you fancy.

For info, you might have better luck doing a search with its Chinese name (ditto for Happy Biqi).  Earthworm Jim you can figure out with a translator, but I'm not sure off-hand what Biqi's Chinese title is.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
well there are three known Earthworm Jim games so far:

Earthworm Jim 2, a port of EWJ2 developed by Super Game
Earthworm Jim 2 aka Earthworm Jim 4, a port of EWJ2 developed by some people who used to work for Sachen and seemingly published by Shin-Shin/K and later by NT (Ka Sheng)
Earthworm Jim 3, a port of EWJ1 developed by Hummer Team & published by NT

then there's Happy Biqi, a clone of EWJ2 made by Waixing around 1997 or so - it's believed to have had a cart release around that time, but no cart has been found AFAIK.

Recently though (from around the mid-2000s) it has turned up on several plug & play consoles made by Subor - the current ROM originates from a download site run by Subor providing games to play on some of their 32-bit consoles equipped with SD cart slots & NES emulation. You can find that ROM here.

Most plug & plays have an English version of the game just called "Happy Biqi: World Fighter", the ROM is the only known version called "Happy Biqi 3" and aside from being Chinese it appears to be identical. So chances are Happy Biqi and Happy Biqi 3 are the same thing, and there was never a Happy Biqi 2...

an Earthworm Jim version of this game may or may not actually exist, but a game has been spotted on old Waixing game lists called "Earthworm 3" or similar (in Chinese), so it's possible.

MLX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
@Qiezei: Most copies of EWJ I have seen came from Russia or South America ;)

Also he is just looking for ROMs.