Author Topic: Question about packaging for pirate games  (Read 3018 times)

corey89

• View Profile
Question about packaging for pirate games
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
So I have this thing for organizing my games in order and as accurately as possible on my Hyperspin setup. For most retail games, this is easy because the packaging is well documented and I can just slap front and back together and have it look neat. However, due to my love for pirate games, I mostly have to resort to simply using the front as seen on the wiki and put some screenshots on white due to there being no real reference point online.

So I am simply wondering, what is usually on the back of these games? Like in particular Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7 and the likes, do they just copy the SNES box or do they look completely different?

Sorry for the weird question, my OCD is just going off so hard every time I see these boxes on Hyperspin where I know it's not true to life.

Pepper-98

• View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/Pepper9801
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »
It depends.  For some games like ones by Vast Fame or Sachen they tend to be pretty accurate, showing actual screenshots and sometimes a summary of the game.  Others like SNT (Shenzhen Nanjing), Yong Yong and certain generic bootlegs show either screenshots of a different (and more advanced) game or just random screenshots of the show if it's based off of one, like Digimon.  Lastly some just have art on the back without any actual game description or screenshots, and Waixing's NES titles just have stuff like company info on the back.  My Unlicensed Game blog (in my signature) has some box scans of some different unlicensed titles if you want to get a physical idea.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
JY boxes are usually just copies of the SNES versions though, AFAIK.

corey89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Really love looking over your blog, Qiezei! I wish there was more of an incentive to properly document all aspects of these pirate games, as I find their entire look from cartridge to front and back of the box to be highly interesting.

But I've seen some backs on Nanjing games where it seems to just list other titles they released, like on Final Fantasy 7 (atleast I think that is what it is) while games like Final Fantasy 4 has a some screens and text. I guess from this that there's no consistent look to their covers?