Author Topic: Another sound engine discovery: Toxic Crusaders  (Read 3793 times)

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Another sound engine discovery: Toxic Crusaders
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »
A while back I'd noticed that a lot of the educational famiclone carts used the same sound driver for their music, and that this engine was also used in the menus for various X-in-1 carts as well. You know the ones: they all use various traditional/folk songs for the background music.

Naturally, that one's stolen too. Somehow, I'd completely missed a post by maxzhou88 showing just where it was stolen from: As he discovered (Google translation), that particular sound engine was identical to the one in Bandai's "Toxic Crusaders"!

I'm curious if this is actually the identity of the mysterious Nanjing sound engine, which I had once credited to Beam Software. The drums sound very similar, but the synths are different-- but maybe it's just different parameters or something.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:50:59 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there's actually a ROM dump of one of those educational Famiclone things that uses a song from that game. I forget what it's called though.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
thatd be the Subor one he mentions in the blog post (Subor v3.0) - he's extracted the music from it and posted a rom + source code on his file store thing ("FC-Subor V3.0 Music Demo(source code).rar")

nos. 1,3,4,5,11,12,13,14 are Toxic Crusaders tracks, the rest are original Subor. i already recognise a couple of those from elsewhere - a bad version of no.6 is used on this multi, and no.7 is used in the Rumble Station.. no. 9 sounds familiar too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:14:18 PM by taizou »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I know track 09 and 1A are used on this multicart. (And the latter is an 8-bit rendition of Auld Lang Syne) Not sure where the rest are from though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:29:14 PM by Awesome Panda »

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:36 AM »
I don't think SNT's sound engine is based upon Toxic Crusaders. The drums doesn't sound like what I got used to in the SNT games.