Author Topic: Generic Wii clone thread  (Read 42487 times)

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
ah I've seen that PSP lookalike before - the description is really vague, I have no idea what the hell it is. they mention included games and a "Game Card" but not how many, or what type. and it looks like it has a MicroSD slot too. maybe its just one of those consoles with a bunch of emulators built in and they just supply a MicroSD card full of roms along with it.

the Reactor 42 actually looks identical to my iSports, so I guess its manufactured by Subor too - Im not sure if it has anything to do with Ultimate Products, but their "Zone Sega" was released as a Reactor in the end, so who knows..

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
taizou
Jan 12 2011, 05:40:59 PM
the Reactor 42 actually looks identical to my iSports, so I guess its manufactured by Subor too - Im not sure if it has anything to do with Ultimate Products, but their "Zone Sega" was released as a Reactor in the end, so who knows..[/quote]Sega Reactor, to be pedantic. :D I doubt Ultimate Products would really have any effect on the name change. I could be wrong but I think the Sega Reactor was released under the same name in the US, or a different one to the Zone Sega at least.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
well I finally saw one of the games from the Wow somewhere else - the Columns clone is on the video page of Nanjing's website. which doesnt work (like their games). but the thumbnail is still there, its the third one along. So i guess that probably means Nice Code made it. Unless Nanjing did, but, well, I doubt that.

and there are some very similar games to some of the ones on the MGT 20 in 1 on this thing which is credited to "V-Tac", a Taiwanese company.. their site has a few game screenshots at the bottom of  this page. the golf again looks similar to the 20 in 1's, they also seem to have been responsible for an official looking Tetris plug & play system and some kind of.. 8-bit Sesame Street football game? Among other stuff.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2011, 02:50:19 AM »
Hm. There was a NiceCode game on the DreamGear that featured Elmo in it... coincidence, or shared sprite designers?
Also, I love the fact that V-TAC can't spell their own name right in the copyright notice on that console reviewed by TweeterMan.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:52:54 AM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
codeman38
Jan 15 2011, 02:50:19 AM
Hm. There was a NiceCode game on the DreamGear that featured Elmo in it... coincidence, or shared sprite designers?[/quote]Given that the sprites were stolen from a Sesame Street game for the NES (if I remember correctly, it was the one with the ridiculous dance sequences at the end) and the game itself looks a lot like "Penrtly Kick" on the 8-bit Vii, I assume this is by Nice Code as well. Given that they tend to steal a lot of stuff from other NES/Famicom games (mainly sound engines) it wouldn't be all that surprising. Mind you, I don't get why you'd make a football game and put Elmo in it, but that's just me.

Personally, I'm wondering if V-Tac actually made the games on that X-Racer II 7-in-1. Seeing as they have (presumably) Nice Code games the ones on that could probably be by 2 different companies as far as I know. I like how so many of these racing games use ripped off F-1 Race sound effects. The third game on it looks rather similar to that Space Harrier derivative that JungleTac made. I could be wrong on this, but to me the last 4 games on it appear to be running on Master System hardware as opposed to the Famicom, mainly judging by the sound and amount of colours.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
the Elmo game seems to be licensed, its from this: http://www.mjstoy.com/sesame-street-elmos-world-first-games-p-503.html
so maybe its just a coincidence that Nice Code used Elmo in one of their games, if the sprites are stolen.

i'm not sure if V-Tac actually does develop their own games, but they claim to, at least: "We’ve developed nearly 100 games for the market 2001 enter the game market of inside chips. 2003 combination with V-TAC Becoming Multimedia Development 1998 XiGu technology company set upDevote in producing game for PlayStation and DreamCast"

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Hm, an interesting connection I just noticed: that Elmo's World console is produced by TechnoSource, the same company that released the Intellivision plug-n-play whose games were hacked by Nice Code!

Seriously, we need a family tree for these things...

Edit: Here's a video of the Elmo console. Definitely Famiclone hardware, but it doesn't sound like Nice Code stuff. Hm.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:24:13 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
Well, the Shape Jump game sort of looks like River Jump off the DreamGEAR 75-in-1 to me, which incidentally had Elmo in it for some crazy reason.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
i'd imagine Techno Source just outsourced development to pretty much anyone who'd do it.. so maybe they got Nice Code to port the Intellivision stuff, V-Tac to do Elmo etc etc.
codeman38

Seriously, we need a family tree for these things...[/quote]
oh i try every so often. but i just end up with a screen full of lines and a headache.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »
I think I just found a new (well, new in that I wasn't aware of it before) Wii clone, what is apparently called the Sport 6-in-1. This is by far my favourite one, simply because of how obvious half of the stolen stuff is. Also, I have no idea who made this but I somehow bet they went out of business soon after making it.

Starting off with the sports titles, the music in Super Boxing is Am I Evil by Metallica, which instantly equals awesomeness in my book. (I don't think Lars Ulrich will be happy with that :P ) Also, the music in the pre-match screens on some games (including Bowling which is in the video I just linked to) might be The Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang, but I doubt I'm right on that.

What's really interesting though are the mini games, because the creators of these games didn't even try to cover up what they stole. Hell, I can list the stuff I noticed from these things.
- The menu background is likely stolen from somewhere.
- Columns is a complete ripoff of the Mega Drive game, and it's obvious that the creators don't care about copyright issues. Oh, and the music is a MIDI rendition of a song from that unlicensed Emi-Chan game for the Famicom Disk System. (Don't ask me how I know that XP)
- Incept Presents seems to be a remake of Nice Code's Xmas Gift.
- I think you can guess what Precious Stone is a clone of. :P
- The bloke in Flash Ghost looks a lot like Master Higgins from Adventure Island.
- Huarong Road is a remake of Hua Rong Dau by Waixing.
- The music in Memory is a MIDI rendition of a song I forget the name of.
- The graphics in Find Same Picture are blatantly stolen from Pokémon.
- Puzzle Bobble is a clone of, well, Puzzle Bobble. They even stole the graphics from the original game.
- Guess Fruit is basically a graphical update of Xiao Ma Li for the Famicom and I think the background is stolen from King of Fighters. (The bloke in the middle sort of looks like Iori, at least)
- Falcon is obviously a clone of Tapper.
- Warehouse is the obligatory Sokoban clone.
- Fight to Fire is a complete ripoff of the Fire game from Game & Watch Gallery Advance, right down to the graphics. It's especially funny because anyone with half a brain would have finished writing this sentence the first time around. :P Anyway, the graphics are obviously based off those from Mario.
- If I remember correctly, the character's sprite in Shuttle is stolen from one of the SNES Final Fantasy games.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:58:51 PM by Awesome Panda »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Hm, interesting-- that looks very much like the very few snippets I've seen of taizou's "Wow" console, namely from this video from the reseller of the thing. So apparently it's not a one-off, then.

Edit: LOL, they even used the menu music in the background of that vid.

Edit #2: Yep, same system exactly. The menu from the Wow vid reads "Sport 6 in 1".

Edit #3: I've played Dance Dance Revolution way too often not to recognize the selection sound from the minigame menu. Also, I know I've heard the sound effect that plays when the minigame menu opens in the opening logo of some old DOS game or something.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:01:16 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
Well it's nice to see that this thing is way more interesting than that ad makes it out to be. Gotta love the Star Force clone, BTW. :P

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
More observations, edited in as I find them:
  • The music in Memory is "Another Day In Paradise" by Phil Collins!
  • The music in Find Same Picture sound vaguely familiar? Yep, they stole that from Pokemon too. With notes just randomly changed around for no reason-- I mean, it's not like they weren't blatantly infringing things already.
  • The background graphic in Falcon says "Merry Christmas" in Swedish, for no apparent reason.

Interestingly, the minigame selection seems to be different on taizou's version-- he's already mentioned two games, both of which involve a dude picking up and moving blocks, that aren't on the version shown on YouTube.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:17:21 PM by codeman38 »

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
yeah that's pretty damn similar. the sports games and menus are identical, but mine has a slightly different selection of minigames - Huarong Road, Black White Chess, Guess Fruit, Fight to Fire or Shuttle arent on it, but it has 10 more that arent on that version. and Puzzle Bobble & Columns have been renamed (to "Brain Bender" and "Jigsaw"), I guess for copyright reasons, but they still have all the stolen graphics.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Generic Wii clone thread
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »
Are you going to post videos of that at some point or another? :)