Author Topic: Simba's Battle City  (Read 3541 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:48 AM »
There was supposed to be a Battle City entry in the undumped games list at BootlegGames Wiki, right? Now I guess it's just time to take it down! Maybe.

Here is that port, published and supposedly developed by Simba's.

The game's actually called "Tanks Classic" on the title screen and simply "Tanks" on the main menu. In addition, it exploits PCM samples (which includes some epic war music and sound effects ripped directly from the original), has three difficulty levels, two modes ("Quest" and "Arcade") and all-new graphics. That's pretty much all I can say about it so far.  :pandaaway:

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
Cool game, there's another two versions of Battle City, both made by Kudos. The first one comes with Super Mario Brothers included, so we can say that it's a 2 in 1 game, this it's a really good version, looks exactly as the NES version, nothing changes, the controls are just the same, really cool game, the same for Super Mario Brothers. The second version it's a little bit diferent, the tank looks a little more big, also the enemie tanks are different.The levels has changed too, but still pretty good.

"Tank 2011" (Pic + Download)

Spoiler: click to toggle

Tank + Super Mario Brothers (Pic + Donwload)

Both version were download from here

As for the version of Simba, i think i see a cart pic somewhere, but i don't remember right now where.

Cheers

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »
Wait, did Kudos also made MegaDrive releases, apart from their crappy PlayStation Russian translations? o_0

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
Yep, they also made Crash Bandicot, Diablo and Narnia 3. Well "made" it's not the right word i think, the only thing that they do was to hack the tittle screans  of Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Legend of Galahad and Fatal Labyrinth  :D

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
Rapid_Fire
Jun 11 2012, 01:47:31 PM
Yep, they also made Crash Bandicot, Diablo and Narnia 3. Well "made" it's not the right word i think, the only thing that they do was to hack the tittle screans  of Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Legend of Galahad and Fatal Labyrinth  :D [/quote]...and I thought that group disbanded long time ago.

Although it may be a completely different Kudos group, not the one I know. You know whether they have been making PlayStation releases?

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
I search for Kudos in russian sites, and i find that they made a lot of translations for PS1 games like this for example:

they also made translations for Dreamcast games such as Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Resident Evil 3, i have no idea if there's the same company that made this Battle City games or not. who knows actually.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:03:41 PM by Rapid_Fire »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
Well, maybe it would be wise to check the contacts of both groups...

And quite interesting finds you have here. I would personally never know that Tommy Xie actually released two more games for the Russian-speaking market... Broken Russhen for the win! :P
Okay, here's some additional information on those Battle City bootlegs for all ye who didn't downloaded it yet.
  • Super Mario Bros. + Battle City multicart appears to have almost pixel-perfect ports of the both games.
  • There are overall four games that use the same Battle City engine with several modifications: the original port itself, Tanks Classic, Tanks 2011 and (believe it or not) Pirates of the Carribean 4: On Stranger Tides.
  • Battle City is the only game on this engine to have Construction mode.  >_<
  • The Arcade and Quest modes in Tanks Classic represent the original BS maps and the all-new ones correspondingly.
  • Tanks 2011 rips the title screen off another BS clone, but this time, a legit one and released on mobile phones, called Tanchiki.
  • It also appears to copy the headquarters' design from King Tank by Gamtec.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:55:23 AM by Crash Nicker »

Rapid_Fire

• View Profile
Simba's Battle City
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
Thanks for the info, i was looking for that company kudos but i couldn't find anything about them, anyway, you were right about Pirates of the Caribbean 4, it's a battle city game but with boats, it's uses the same game style with the only difference that you can only shoot on your right side or left side, not straight like in Battle City, so that makes the game a little more hard and frustrating i think. Here's the download if you want to give it a chance.

Pic + Download:

Cheers

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:50:37 PM by Rapid_Fire »