Author Topic: Things you probably didn't know about Bao Qing Tian  (Read 3653 times)

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Things you probably didn't know about Bao Qing Tian
« on: June 09, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
Well seeing as there's no dedicated thread to this game, I thought I'd open one up to share some things regarding the game's plot and characters.

Pretty much everyone knows it's a poor side-scrolling platformer with a character that moves like a Mortal Kombat character and has jumping physics equal to those of many Contra characters, the speed making it tougher to land on platforms that are only one block in size. Enemies have alright designs, but many seem to just be recoded from one another, in that they all basically shoot projectiles. There are small differences though with each shooting/throwing enemy.

However I feel as if not every detail was covered regarding the title, so I'll share some of what I learned.

*The game was made by NT, or "K" if you prefer, the same team that made the Panda Prince (China sure does love their pandas).

*The character you control is not Bao Zheng himself, but rather his bodyguard/sidekick Zhan Zhao.

*Pushing Select will call in Bao to perform a special move that causes all enemies on screen on screen to receive one hit point of damage each. Very weak for a special move, considering you can land blows on an enemy faster just by spamming the crouching kick. If you   rather rely on these for getting a few cheap shots, they can be replenished by collecting flags.

*If present, the second player maneuvers a light-browner palette swap of Zhan. Strangely he is not controlled by the second controller; I guess NT was too lazy to add function mappings to controller 2. This could allude to how in some instances, you see Ahan with a your robe instead of his trademark red one. :huh:

*The game was possibly based on Justice Bao, a 1993 Taiwanese TV series, as Bao Zheng's appearance in the game is very similar to his appearance in the show.

And now I leave you with bonuses.

Attachments:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:55:10 PM by Superjustinbros »

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »
Superjustinbros
Jun 9 2012, 01:46:45 PM
*If present, the second player maneuvers a light-browner palette swap of Zhan. Strangely he is not controlled by the second controller; I guess NT was too lazy to add function mappings to controller 2. This could allude to how in some instances, you see Ahan with a your robe instead of his trademark red one. :huh:[/quote]Whoah-whoah-whoah... So that means that one player controls two characters at the same time? Or is it actually hotseat?

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »
Crash Nicker
Jun 11 2012, 02:30:03 AM
Superjustinbros
Jun 9 2012, 01:46:45 PM
*If present, the second player maneuvers a light-browner palette swap of Zhan. Strangely he is not controlled by the second controller; I guess NT was too lazy to add function mappings to controller 2. This could allude to how in some instances, you see Ahan with a your robe instead of his trademark red one. :huh:[/quote]Whoah-whoah-whoah... So that means that one player controls two characters at the same time? Or is it actually hotseat?[/quote]Both players alternate turns. Player 1 controls Zhan in his normal colors, and Player 2 controls a palette swap. Even though this is a two-player game, the second Famicom/NES controller is not used by the second player, but instead he/she is given the controls when Player 1 is killed.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
Superjustinbros
Jun 11 2012, 02:59:19 PM
Both players alternate turns. Player 1 controls Zhan in his normal colors, and Player 2 controls a palette swap. Even though this is a two-player game, the second Famicom/NES controller is not used by the second player, but instead he/she is given the controls when Player 1 is killed.[/quote]Actually, if it's hotseat, then it (maybe) makes sense. If having a hotseat two-player mode support in a game which only has a straight and linear "beat-the-game" mode (Super Mario Bros, durrrr) makes any sense at all...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:03:00 PM by Crash Nicker »