Pirate Discussion > Game Boy

Pokemon Gold Pocket Monsters (ROM hack)

(1/3) > >>

Vikograd:
Hey, first time posting here!

So I recently started digging around my multicarts and found a strange version of Pokemon Gold on one of them and was wondering if anyone has heard of it. It seems to be a ROM hack of the English version of Pokemon Gold but with the intro being changed along with the dialogues and the Pokemon not having their official names. The game displays "Pokemon World" on startup instead of the Gamefreak logo and Nintendo's credit has been replaced by "PiKACHU". The game uses the original title screen but the text says "Pokemon GOLD Pocket Monsters" and Nintendo's copyright is once again overwritten by "PiKACHU".

Is this a known hack in the community? I'm going to try and document this with a page on the wiki so if anyone has any further information on the game I'd appreciate it.

Also here's some pictures I took of the startup sequence and the screen where you choose your name (notice how the font is smaller but bold, compared to Pokemon's usual font).

crazyboy92mk2:

--- Quote from: Vikograd on April 28, 2023, 04:01:43 AM ---Hey, first time posting here!

So I recently started digging around my multicarts and found a strange version of Pokemon Gold on one of them and was wondering if anyone has heard of it. It seems to be a ROM hack of the English version of Pokemon Gold but with the intro being changed along with the dialogues and the Pokemon not having their official names. The game displays "Pokemon World" on startup instead of the Gamefreak logo and Nintendo's credit has been replaced by "PiKACHU". The game uses the original title screen but the text says "Pokemon GOLD Pocket Monsters" and Nintendo's copyright is once again overwritten by "PiKACHU".

Is this a known hack in the community? I'm going to try and document this with a page on the wiki so if anyone has any further information on the game I'd appreciate it.

Also here's some pictures I took of the startup sequence and the screen where you choose your name (notice how the font is smaller but bold, compared to Pokemon's usual font).

--- End quote ---

This is quite interesting. This is Japanese version of Pokemon Gold, not the US/European version BTW.

Ankos:
I dumped the ROM for it off of one of my multicarts and posted it to my ROMs thread. In my experience it appears on Ka Sheng and JY multicarts. I've never seen an equivalent version for Silver though, though there are other translations for the generation 2 pokemon games

Vikograd:

This is quite interesting. This is Japanese version of Pokemon Gold, not the US/European version BTW.
[/quote]

Oh, so this might be a pre-release translation by whoever pirated this. Was this even a thing back then? - to translate a game for a different region where it hasn't officially been released yet to better sell ones pirated work? Thanks for the info though!

Vikograd:

--- Quote from: Ankos on April 28, 2023, 07:40:39 AM ---I dumped the ROM for it off of one of my multicarts and posted it to my ROMs thread. In my experience it appears on Ka Sheng and JY multicarts. I've never seen an equivalent version for Silver though, though there are other translations for the generation 2 pokemon games

--- End quote ---

I found this one on a Game USA Color Advance cartidge that I got bundled with my GBA a few years ago.
I made a wiki page for it as well because I couldn't find anything about these multicarts on the internet...
https://bootleggames.fandom.com/wiki/100_in_1_Game_USA_Color_Advance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version