Pirate Discussion > Famicom/NES

Ling Jie Hu Fa: Level 3 crash issue

(1/4) > >>

KAGE-008:
I bet most people haven't noticed that in Ling Jie Hu Fa, it crashes right before starting the third level. What is curious is that I confirmed this yesterday by testing the original WXN dump on Nintendulator-NRS. I'm guessing there is some part of the PRG that is either corrupted or protected.

In the meantime, using the code 006B:04 lets you access the fourth (and last) level, but it requires disabling it afterwards to make the enemies appear.

NewRisingSun:
I would like to investigate, but I already have no idea what I have to accomplish to finish the second level. I also cannot seem to find out how to reliably operate wall switches, assuming that they're not just props.

KAGE-008:
NewRisingSun2Feb 21 2018, 01:30:33 AMI would like to investigate, but I already have no idea what I have to accomplish to finish the second level. I also cannot seem to find out how to reliably operate wall switches, assuming that they're not just props.[/quote]You just need to kill all enemies in the level to progress. I might send you a savestate if it's required.

ProBoTector23:
KAGE-008Feb 21 2018, 05:31:54 PMNewRisingSun2Feb 21 2018, 01:30:33 AMI would like to investigate, but I already have no idea what I have to accomplish to finish the second level. I also cannot seem to find out how to reliably operate wall switches, assuming that they're not just props.[/quote]You just need to kill all enemies in the level to progress. I might send you a savestate if it's required.[/quote]You can also send me a savestate? :) I tried the code (in FCEUX), but I could not bring forth the third level.

NewRisingSun:
No, just setting memory variable $006B to $03, as you mentioned, is enough. But thanks for the offer.

Having investigated the code a little further, it seems to me that the PRG bank order is mixed up, but only slightly. There already is a Waixing Mapper number for that --- Mapper 249 will mix up the PRG banks if register $5000 has bit 1 (value $02) set, which Ling Jie Hu Fa indeed does right at the beginning. Unfortunately, the scrambling pattern seems to be entirely different from the existing Mapper 249 games ...
* Duo Bao Xiao Ying Hao - Guang Ming yu An Hei Chuan Shuo (Ch)

* Myth Struggle (Ch)

* Shui Hu Zhuan (Ch)... so one would have to find out what the correct pattern is. Those three Mapper 249 games freeze right away when run as Mapper 4 or 176, so to account for the fact that Ling Jie Fu Ha seems to mostly run well, the alternative pattern may invole changing only a single bit. Other games that write $02 to $5000, yet seem to run normally at first, but may crash at a later point for the same reason:
* Golden Axe

* M&M Heroes (serial 980100295)

* Ye Ming JueHas anyone played these games to tell me whether they crash at some later point?

There is an alternative version of M&M Heroes with serial 980584 that does not write $02 to $5000, so maybe comparing the two versions can lead to some insights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version