Author Topic: Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers for Mega Drive  (Read 7433 times)

Azathoth

• View Profile
Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers for Mega Drive
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »
My good friend Raistlin is currently awaiting a new game to arrive; Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers for Mega Drive.

Apparently it's some type of port of the NES original, which Squirrel King was designed as an unofficial sequel to. Here's links to both a video and a shot of the cart & box. Hopefully if things work out he might possibly be able to loan the cartridge out to dump, or at least provide a lot of information about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0nxrW86Hg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2940/p6300474.jpg

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
I wouldn't be really surprised if KDS/Kudos would be behind this port. They do have Super Mario Bros and Battle City, after all...
Oh yeah, randomized music which has nothing to do with Chip 'n Dale. Just like in Pirates of the Carribean 4. Definitely published by Kudos and developed by the same guys who probably did the above three games.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:37:30 AM by Crash Nicker »

djshok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Neat! I'm liking this recent trend of NES games ported to the Genesis.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
I'm still really curious about the actual origin of all these new Russian originals.

At the very least, I am pretty much certain that there's some sort of connection with the Russian Mega Drive homebrew scene, though how close of one, I'm not sure.

I've mentioned this in previous threads about these games, but it totally bears repeating. Grab a copy of TFM Music Maker from Shiru's site, then check out some of the TFM modules that are available on the relevant directory from Modland. Suffice it to say, some of them will sound very familiar.

Edit: And yeah, now that I've thought about it a bit more... probably a very tenuous connection at most. Especially given that Shiru open-sourced his sound code. :lol: Further evidence in this direction is that not all the tunes used in these games are in fact by Russian sceners; one of the tunes in the Pirates of the Caribbean game is by Groovemaster303, who's British.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:18:50 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
The general quality of the games suggest it was developed specifically for Kudos, as does the stolen music. I don't think there are any public domain versions of the games, at least.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Awesome Panda
Jul 4 2012, 12:04:56 PM
The general quality of the games suggest it was developed specifically for Kudos, as does the stolen music. I don't think there are any public domain versions of the games, at least.[/quote]Yeah, I wasn't saying the games themselves were developed as free homebrew stuff. I was just curious whether Kudos actually hired sceners to do some of the work, or whether they just took a bunch of open-source code and stolen TFM mods and hacked at things until they worked. The more closely I look at the quality of things, it definitely seems more like the latter than the former...  :)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
Awesome Panda
Jul 4 2012, 12:04:56 PM
The general quality of the games suggest it was developed specifically for Kudos, as does the stolen music. I don't think there are any public domain versions of the games, at least.[/quote]Yeah, except for Rick Dangerous, Sonic Megamix 3.0 and Uwol: Quest for Money which were naughtily reconverted to cartridges for fun profit and profit.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:03 AM »
I didn't know Uwol was on pirate carts already. Was wondering when that would happen.

If they ported Rescue Rangers I have to wonder what else they ported. They couldn't have just stopped at only this I'd think. Shame they don't bother making new graphics though.

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
Barver
Jul 6 2012, 04:00:03 AM
I didn't know Uwol was on pirate carts already. Was wondering when that would happen.

If they ported Rescue Rangers I have to wonder what else they ported. They couldn't have just stopped at only this I'd think. Shame they don't bother making new graphics though.[/quote]
Uwol was hacked long ago, and I've even seen it having... some really lame cover art, to be honest.

I definitely think so, although I honestly don't know what else they can reconvert. Track & Field, maybe? And well, Squirrel King already has new graphics. While Kudos' products center mainly on "most accurate NES-to-MD port possible".
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:08:01 AM by Crash Nicker »

AxelRage92

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
Oh what for the blazing hells was that music in the Chip 'n Dale video (in the beginning of the first level)? It remembered me some old Russian song, I just can't say its name.

The storyline is completely different from the original:

"When the Rescue Rangers team was on a mission, the Fat Cat insinuated into their headquarters on the tree. He kidnapped Zipper, and the gang of his helpers demounted their ... to the footing". I can't see what they have demounted, because the story is not shown completely in the video.

Some words about Kudos: I have found their site, as it says the company goes back to 1995. There is a lot of carts with both official and unofficial games for NES, Sega Genesis and GBA, some of them translated in Russian. I think that maybe they have people in their own staff to make those translations. Among NES translated games there were CHIP & DALE 1, CHIP & DALE 2, DARKWING DUCK, JUNGLE BOOK, TOM & JERRY, and among Sega Genesis I've noticed some new-made games similar to Mario 3 & 4 and Ben 10 mentioned in another topic. These include Avatar, Assassin's Creed, Fast and Furious 5 (!), Narnia Chronicles 3, Kung Fu Panda 2 and some others. They also have a forum, but it seems to become active just one or two months ago. Here is the link to the Kudos site (in Russian only): Kudos

Oh, by the way, their translations have some spelling mistakes thus being not perfect. I am from Ukraine myself, but Russian, so I can see it  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:36:31 AM by AxelRage92 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
AxelRage92
Jul 29 2012, 09:33:43 AM
among Sega Genesis I've noticed some new-made games similar to Mario 3 & 4 and Ben 10 mentioned in another topic. These include Avatar, Assassin's Creed, Fast and Furious 5 (!), Narnia Chronicles 3, Kung Fu Panda 2 and some others.[/quote]Alas, if the games of those same titles on RuFiles are the ones in question, they're just lazy title/graphic hacks of legitimate games. (But at least now we know what company's responsible for them!)

AxelRage92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
codeman38
Jul 29 2012, 11:00:39 PM
AxelRage92
Jul 29 2012, 09:33:43 AM
among Sega Genesis I've noticed some new-made games similar to Mario 3 & 4 and Ben 10 mentioned in another topic. These include Avatar, Assassin's Creed, Fast and Furious 5 (!), Narnia Chronicles 3, Kung Fu Panda 2 and some others.[/quote]Alas, if the games of those same titles on RuFiles are the ones in question

[/quote]Yeah, these are the games I meant  :)

Feel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
Although it is cool to have this great game on MD, what is the interest oh porting a 8bit game to a 16bits system as is?

AxelRage92

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »
Feel
Aug 2 2012, 02:09:22 PM
Although it is cool to have this great game on MD, what is the interest oh porting a 8bit game to a 16bits system as is?[/quote]You know, I asked myself the same question when I saw this for the first time. They've just ripped off all the graphics from the original and brought nothing new to the game. Moreover, they didn't care about the music and the storyline, so if you wanna get that nostalgic feeling, you can just take a NES emulator instead. What does it mean for the players? Just a marketing act? Something like "Yeah, now you can get the eternal NES classics on your Sega MD"! An 8-bit game on a 16-bit console? Looks strange. As for me, porting 16-bit games to NES is really interesting, because even some pirate-made games can show that NES has high potential that wasn't used before (remember Super Lion King, Donkey Kong 4 and Pocahontas 2). But what is the sense of bringing lower-generation games to Sega? I can't give an answer.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
Maybe they figured on riding the coattails of Squirrel King's "success".