Author Topic: Is it possible to do a 'drastic' hack of any Street Fighter II engine game?  (Read 2258 times)

brightentayle

• A Very Punchy
  • Cutting yourself is fun, as long as you're paper.
    • View Profile
Not just a graphic hack or a thing which garbles the game, but basically something that makes this hack an entirely new game on the same engine. Is it even possible to extract the source from, let's say, Mortal Kombat II >_< ? Oh, I guess not.

MLX

• View Profile
Is it possible to do a 'drastic' hack of any Street Fighter II engine game?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
Crash Nicker
Jan 19 2011, 12:49:55 PM
Not just a graphic hack or a thing which garbles the game, but basically something that makes this hack an entirely new game on the same engine. Is it even possible to extract the source from, let's say, Mortal Kombat II >_< ? Oh, I guess not.[/quote]Nope. Considering SF2 uses some unofficial mapper and the programming being made specifically for an engine, doing reverse engineering is impossible. Only simple mapper games have been reverse engineered and it took quite long to do for them so I cannot think how much you'll need for just 128kb of PRG. And you need to know lot of assembler too and code your own tools to compile it back to .PRG format.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
Is it possible to do a 'drastic' hack of any Street Fighter II engine game?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Well, anything is possible, if youre skilled enough with ASM and whatnot. Waixing's Myth Struggle (Fengshen Bang) is basically a super extensive hack of Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden 2.