Pirate Discussion > Mega Drive/Genesis

Hidden credit screen in Harry Potter

(1/3) > >>

codeman38:
I have no idea how one accesses this (playing through the loop of three levels multiple times?), but there is most definitely a hidden screen in the ROM displaying the TomSoft logo and Tommy Xie's name and contact info:

Ah, upon further investigation, this may very well be a red herring - it's part of the "mcc68kab.001" file in TomSoft's Sega kit. So the game might not have been developed by Tommy himself, but by someone he gave his dev kit to.

Awesome Panda:
If it was developed by someone else, then it'd explain why (to my knowledge, at least) the credits screen can't be accessed. Mind you, it could be a Russian developer seeing as the ROM name is "Harry Potter (R)".

MLX:
Copyright hacked ?

Awesome Panda:
Having found this page a couple of minutes ago, I'd say this box looks a lot more authentic than Dragon Co's Famicom carts, and the full name of this game is apparently Harry Potter MD. Neither Tommy Xie or Tomsoft are credited anywhere, so I'm guessing it's either a pirate release or developed by someone else.

codeman38:
CheetahmenMar 12 2011, 05:49:47 AMIf it was developed by someone else, then it'd explain why (to my knowledge, at least) the credits screen can't be accessed. Mind you, it could be a Russian developer seeing as the ROM name is "Harry Potter (R)".[/quote]I found an alternate version of the ROM on this Russian site that was labeled "Harry Potter (Unl)" and whose ROM header mentions the Tomsoft SDK.

The comment on that download, as translated by Google:
Quote: Completely original ROM. ROM, known as Harry_Potter_ (R) has changed the title and should be considered Harry_Potter_ (Unl) [h1][/quote]So apparently the (R) dump is a hacked version, and the (Unl) version is an unedited dump.

Edit: Also, I think the box art on SegaGaga is a repro, or at the very least, a second-generation pirate. Several other cartridges in his collection have the same style package, and none of them seem to be originals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version