Pirate Discussion > Mega Drive/Genesis

A theory of fighting games

<< < (3/3)

Awesome Panda:
PlayerSeceltJul 3 2011, 08:51:49 AMVirtua Fighter vs. Taken 2, Soul Blade Super and maybe a few other fighting games have the same sound engine, also used in Squirrel King and some other pirate games.[/quote]I could be wrong, but isn't that the GEMS sound engine?

codeman38:
CheetahmenJul 3 2011, 09:33:35 AMPlayerSeceltJul 3 2011, 08:51:49 AMVirtua Fighter vs. Taken 2, Soul Blade Super and maybe a few other fighting games have the same sound engine, also used in Squirrel King and some other pirate games.[/quote]I could be wrong, but isn't that the GEMS sound engine?[/quote]Nope. It's SMPS, particularly the variant used in Wonder Boy 3.

Edit: In addition, though it's not a fighting game, the Rockman X3 bootleg also appears to use SMPS. The percussion, in particular, is a dead giveaway.

Edit #2: And I thought I'd brought up this particular sound driver connection in the past (aside from the actual name of the sound driver)-- indeed, it was in this very thread. :lol:

Awesome Panda:
codeman38Jul 3 2011, 10:54:49 AMEdit: In addition, though it's not a fighting game, the Rockman X3 bootleg also appears to use SMPS. The percussion, in particular, is a dead giveaway.[/quote]In that case, why does the soundtrack to that game sound considerably worse than in the fighters? :huh:

codeman38:
CheetahmenJul 3 2011, 12:18:14 PMIn that case, why does the soundtrack to that game sound considerably worse than in the fighters? :huh:[/quote]No idea. Different programmer, maybe? I really wish these games actually had release dates so I knew whether the fighters, the Gamtec games, or Rockman X3 came first.

And the fighters and Rockman all sound noticeably different in style from the Gamtec games that used the same sound driver, too, for that matter.Oh, also, Soul Blade Super definitely uses the High Seas Havoc sound driver, not SMPS. It even uses some of the same tunes as Top Fighter 2000. However, VF vs. Taken 2 does use SMPS.

Awesome Panda:
codeman38Jul 3 2011, 01:29:29 PMCheetahmenJul 3 2011, 12:18:14 PMIn that case, why does the soundtrack to that game sound considerably worse than in the fighters? :huh:[/quote]No idea. Different programmer, maybe? I really wish these games actually had release dates so I knew whether the fighters, the Gamtec games, or Rockman X3 came first.[/quote]I'm guessing the Gamtec games were first (from about 1993, if I recall) and based on the chronology of the games that the other pirates were based off, I'd say Rockman X3 came first out of that lot. (The Saturn version of RX3 came out in April 1996 and from what I remember, none of the fighting games came out until December that year)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version