Author Topic: Old new dumps thread (don't use this anymore!)  (Read 34653 times)

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateGamingHeavy
Old new dumps thread (don't use this anymore!)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
codeman38
Mar 26 2011, 08:05:08 PM
Cheetahmen
Mar 26 2011, 05:38:21 PM
Interesting find. :thumb: Looking at the game itself, I notice a few things right away. The sound engine is taken from that company that did Super Contra X, Aladdin II and other such filth (the name is incredibly long and in Chinese), the font for the numbers is taken from Family Basic and the game itself is basically a poor man's Double Dragon.[/quote]That'd be Chengdu Tai Jing Da Dong-- the company that, if I'm to understand correctly, later became Waixing. So assuming this was originally released by Waixing, perhaps this was one of their earlier games when they still had those people on staff?[/quote]I figured Waixing would have something to do with this, because I know that in some form they have connections with Chengdu. I don't recall either company ever making a beat em up before though. I'm not sure about this being one of their earlier games, TBH. I think if it was, then we'd have known about it before looking into these POS Famiclones.

One thing I noticed is that the title screen graphics are drawn in a very similar style to the cutscenes in F22, which suggests that Waixing or Chengdu (whoever made this game, anyway) had some artists from Inventor. One thing I find odd is that the game has both upper and lower case letters for the fonts. As far as I can tell, the former is drawn from scratch and I recall seeing the lower case font in some of SNT's games.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
nice find! where'd you get it?

yeah, the title screen does have that kind of "shoddily ported from somewhere else" look about it - not sure if that necessarily means an Inventor connection, but there could be one..

and its definitely an early Waixing game, they registered the copyright on it back in 96 97 actually they didn't at all, its on the title screen of the version in this video but its not actually in the database.. hmm.
(btw i kept forgetting how to find the chinese copyright database so i made a more memorable url for it at http://tinyurl.com/chinacop .. if anyone else was having the same problem, lol)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:44:39 PM by taizou »

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 26 2011, 05:38:21 PM
Out of interest, where did you find this ROM?[/quote]I found it after downloading the NSF file from Gil-Galad's site. I went to his folder named "junk" and downloaded it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:53:30 PM by KAGE-008 »

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 26 2011, 09:15:10 PM
One thing I noticed is that the title screen graphics are drawn in a very similar style to the cutscenes in F22, which suggests that Waixing or Chengdu (whoever made this game, anyway) had some artists from Inventor. One thing I find odd is that the game has both upper and lower case letters for the fonts. As far as I can tell, the former is drawn from scratch and I recall seeing the lower case font in some of SNT's games.[/quote]Nah, it's not drawn from scratch-- it's a pretty standard font used in VGA graphics cards that dates back to the original IBM PC. :lol:
Also, regarding the title screen-- one of the first things I noticed when I saw screenshots of this game is that the title screen uses the simplified character for 'dragon', but the options screen and HUD use the traditional character.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:59:50 PM by codeman38 »

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:21 AM »
taizou
Mar 26 2011, 10:37:09 PM
and its definitely an early Waixing game, they registered the copyright on it back in 96 97 actually they didn't at all, its on the title screen of the version in this video but its not actually in the database.. hmm.
(btw i kept forgetting how to find the chinese copyright database so i made a more memorable url for it at http://tinyurl.com/chinacop .. if anyone else was having the same problem, lol)[/quote]I'm no expert at knowing about copyrights, but I'm guessing they might have originally registered the copyright in 1996 and it only lasted for 10 years or something. Unless that database keeps copyright data permanently, which it probably does in all fairness.

taizou

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://fuji.drillspirits.net
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Cheetahmen
Mar 27 2011, 06:47:21 AM
I'm no expert at knowing about copyrights, but I'm guessing they might have originally registered the copyright in 1996 and it only lasted for 10 years or something. Unless that database keeps copyright data permanently, which it probably does in all fairness.[/quote]i think it does - there are other copyrights from 96 and earlier that are still in there. not sure if a copyright can be revoked though.. but i don't see any reason why Dragon Knife would be. i'd guess its either dishonesty on Waixing's part, pretending they registered it when they didn't, or some kind of error in the copyright database thanks to the incompetence of whoever put it together. both seem equally likely tbh.

codeman38

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
Interestingly, the Chinese copyright database jumps directly from 970498 (Zhan Guo Qun Xiong Zhuan) to 970500 ("Mathematical Genius" - something to do with Sachen's Magic Mathematics, possibly?), skipping 970499 entirely.

The two surrounding games? They're both copyrighted by Waixing, of course, so that'd suggest 970499 was also Waixing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:47:34 PM by codeman38 »

SpaceNinja

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:48 AM »
Dragon Knife completed

Seriously crap game.

iniche

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
I was wondering if any of you guys may have come across any interesting Contra-related dumps in the areas you're looking?

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
Street Fighter EX + Alpha has been properly cracked for SNES/SFC

www.dforce3000.de

KAGE-008

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Starlink3854
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
Azathoth
Mar 31 2011, 07:31:55 PM
Street Fighter EX + Alpha has been properly cracked for SNES/SFC

www.dforce3000.de [/quote]Thanks for the information, Azathoth.

Awesome Panda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
The game itself is so bad, it feels like a noob programmer tried to remake the Yie Ar Kung-Fu fighting engine, failed miserably and randomly threw in some stuff from the Street Fighter games. (Street Fighter II and one of the Alpha games I think) And the music is cut down from Street Fighter II, not sure what the point is there.

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »
Upon comparison it looks like all the sprites in the SFEX+@ game are completely original and not used in any other game.

Barver

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 01:16:27 AM »
BTW Azathoth, have you gotten KOF2000 and tried to dump it yet?

I think I got the game name right...

Azathoth

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:00 AM »
You do mean the SNES version I got from you? (I have the MD version working, but it's just a title hack of '98.)

The *real* 2000 one for SNES I got from you has some copy protection that needs to be fixed before it will work. As soon as that's removed I'll put a link on here for it.