Author Topic: The Adventures of Dendy the Elephant  (Read 3147 times)

divingkatae

• View Profile
The Adventures of Dendy the Elephant
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:54:39 AM »
Click here to see: The Adventures of Dendy (Russian, raw)

Not sure if one can buy a copy of it or anything, but one can find the short by entering "Приключения слонёнка Dendy" in a search engine. Argus last updated their website a long time ago, so I'm not sure who owns the film rights.

A somewhat hard to find short outside of Russia, staring the elephant calf featured on the Dendy box artwork.

Here's a somewhat liberal translation of the description:
"There are many animals and birds who peacefully live in a beautiful city. Suddenly, the peace is broken by an invasive grizzly rat, who is part of a gang. A brave, incorruptible elephant Dendy defeats the goons and rescues a beautiful city."

Made in: 1996
Distributor: Argus International

Credits:
Directors - Andrei Ignatenko, Roman Mitrofanov
Screenwriters - Roman Mitrofanov, Mikhail Bartenev
Design and Layout - Aleksandra (Sasha) Prokofieva, Lena Nosikova
Design - Anastasia Troitskaya
Animators - Tatiana Podgorski, Pavel Nastanyuk
Camera Operator - Mikhail Kolvenkovsky
Producer - Vladimir Repin
Music Composer - Igor Nazaruk
Production Manager - Mila Rogachova

I watched it myself, but I didn't find it all that interesting.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:54:43 AM by divingkatae »

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
I remember seeing this film before, it's kind of interesting that a company based around a famiclone got its own film.

Quote:

A brave, incorruptable elephant Dendy[/quote]

Also I just kind of find this funny when you look at Dendy's (the company, not the elephant obviously) activities.

HummerBootlegFan1992

• View Profile
    • http://https://sites.google.com/site/officialhummer1992/home
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
KingPepe
Jun 15 2015, 11:41:30 AM
I remember seeing this film before, it's kind of interesting that a company based around a famiclone got its own film.

Quote:

A brave, incorruptable elephant Dendy[/quote]

Also I just kind of find this funny when you look at Dendy's (the company, not the elephant obviously) activities. [/quote]Sorry if I'm late, but Dendy had his own film?

It's only in Russian probably. Are there English subs at least?

And where can I watch it?

divingkatae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »
1) Yes, he did get his own film. Considering that this was released in 1996 (the year Steepler went bankrupt) and that this is the only known film with Dendy, I don't think there are any others. The film's only about 13 minutes long (if you include the brief credits stuff at the end...which are in English, for some reason), so it is quite short.

2) As far as I know, it's only in Russian. There aren't any English subs or dubs. Worse, there's no transcript of this film. If any of those did exist, they've been lost to time and I can't find them anywhere. It doesn't help that the film is obscure, even within Russia. You could ask one of the Russian members/lurkers here to see if they'd be willing to translate some of it.

3) As for watching the short, search up "Приключения слонёнка Dendy" (with or without quotation marks) on YouTube and you should see a couple of copies of it on there. (Or better yet, search "м/ф «Приключения слонёнка Dendy»" on YT to search for it quicker.) I want to post a copy of it up here, but I'm not entirely keen on that. (What do you think, KingPepe?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:36:36 PM by divingkatae »

HummerBootlegFan1992

• View Profile
    • http://https://sites.google.com/site/officialhummer1992/home
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
This morning I watched the film, but I didn't know what the plot was because it was in Russian...  :huh:

It's strange how the movie's in Russian and the credits are in English!

KingPepe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
divingkatae
Jun 15 2015, 05:18:05 PM
3) As for watching the short, search up "Приключения слонёнка Dendy" (with or without quotation marks) on YouTube and you should see a couple of copies of it on there. (Or better yet, search "м/ф «Приключения слонёнка Dendy»" on YT to search for it quicker.) I want to post a copy of it up here, but I'm not entirely keen on that. (What do you think, KingPepe?)[/quote]I believe it should be fine to be honest.

divingkatae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »
Alrighty then. I updated the top post, so people can find it instantly. It's those English credits that makes me think an English version of this existed (or was planned) at some point, but there's no other evidence of this.

Even though YouTube supports automatic captions for Russian, there's too long of a gap between the main short and the opening for YouTube to even attempt automatic captions. And with my lackluster Russian, I probably only understood maybe 10% of what everyone was saying.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:09:09 AM by divingkatae »